[LUG] Wireless networking

Hi All,

Wired networking I am pretty confident with, having got my feet wet initially with Windows, and then got better with it in Linux. However, I am selling my old laptop to my Dad, and getting a new one (the one I asked about recently - HP Compaq 3307EA). So what I would like to do is set up a wireless network (seeing as I don't fancy having Dad in my bedroom on the old laptop all the time ;)). Three part request for all you experts please :)

1. Comments on the best kit to buy please? Required is a router with a print server built in, as that's what I have currently. I could get a wireless hub or network point and just link that to the existing router I know, but a) it's another box dangling around (I already have an external cablemodem on ntl:), and b) it's an overly complicated network solution for what will be at maximum 4 computers (assuming my brother buys a laptop and wants to use it when he comes home).

So in a nutshell I want a wireless router with a built-in print server. Anyone ever used one, or if not just experiences with the different brands would be appreciated. I've heard good things about the Linksys available from Ebuyer.

2. Wired networking in Linux = piece of... err.. cake. Wireless, I don't know where I should start with the configuration, such as what modules I need to install, and from there upwards. I have Mandrake 10.0, so any advice specific to that would be nice, but otherwise general pointers please :)

Signal strength is something that concerns me. Where the computer is located (not negotiable unfortunately) is in a corner with a wardrobe next to it. Most common places for the wireless to have to reach would be:

a) through two interior walls with an intervening bathroom (bedroom to lounge)
b) again two walls, intervening passage (bedroom to study)
c) diagonal path crossing three interior walls and a window (bedroom to conservatory) - distance about 35 feet ish
d) same as a) but further exterior wall (window really) distance 20-30 feet (bedroom to back garden)
e) as d) but 120 feet approx (bedroom to summer house bottom of garden).

So, a maximum of 150 feet, but through possibly 4-5 walls, one of which might be the outside if Dad or I want to work in the garden (no not *now* in the summer *g*). That would give greater than needed.

Kind regards,

Julian