Re: [LUG] DVD Player

On Sunday 02 Jan 2005 23:05, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 22:06:27 +0000
Curious that is isn't included in even
the non-free sources.  Could be due to licensing issues with some of the
codecs, but then they're packaged separately anyway.  I'm stumped.

I believe the reason is that the MPlayer guys don't like people distributing
binary versions of MPlayer because there is so much advantage to be gained by
compiling your own version optimised for your CPU. There's nothing to stop
people distributing binaries, but generally it isn't done because the
development team have asked people not to.

I would also recommend MPlayer over Xine or anything else - its annoying
having to compile it, but its great once you get it going.

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson