Re: [LUG] Superfluity of Information

On Monday 13 December 2004 20:54, Simon Avery wrote:
Robin Cornelius wrote:

I personaly like spamassassin but this would require a slightly more
complex
setup, as this is designed to "fit somewhere between" the incomming mail
and
the mail app, But if you are intrested then just ask!

I love SA too, although in my case it's being called through MailScanner
(does various things, like quarantine bad or dangerous filenamed
attachments, very flexible).

I'm stuck with maintaining a bunch of very well known and much abused
email addresses (around 500 spams and viruses a day). I filter much of
it through an eclipse account now, which filters out a lot of junk (so
much so that it makes Mailscanner mostly redundant), but the spam still
gets through to be reliably eaten by SA.

I've also switched the clients onto Thunderbird and taught them how to
get it learning what is spam for the few that do get through SA.

It mostly works very well. A lot of work to get there, and best to avoid
publishing an email address at all if you can help it (one of these have
been on websites for 8 years, so you can imagine it's on most bulk lists).

My latest anti-spam attack is to run my own SMTP server as well. Some days I
am rejecting 70% of incoming mail just based on non-existant to/from domains
etc. This saves my spam filter a heck of a lot of work to do but I am being
inindatded with that sober virus (or what ever it is called), 800 mails in my
inbox over night, great fun, luckly they all have the same subject line so
one big select and delete removes them!

--

Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx