Re: [LUG] How unstable is the Sid branch of Debian?

On Tuesday 26 Oct 2004 01:20, Grant Sewell wrote:
Anyway, I've been having a bit of a hoohaa trying to install ximian
connector (or evolution 2) so that I can read my college emails from home.
God bless Cornwall College for choosing to use Exchange!  There seem to be
quite a number of libraries that I will need in order to get either of
these to work, and they appear to be available only in the Sid/unstable
branch.  I am unsure, however, about the stability of Sid.

I have been using Sid for several months on both my work and home desktop
machines and have not lost the desktop yet although apt-get can sometimes
leave a program in an unusable condition for a few weeks. Only once have I
had to revert to a previous version of some updated software to get me out of
a hole. I am not about to blame anyone but myself if this sort of thing or
worse causes me problems.  It's my choice to opt for an unstable distro after
all.  I guess I am just hooked on having the latest versions.

Or does anyone know of any other programmes that I can use (front-end like
Evolution, or backend like Connector) to connect to an Exchange server?

Here's how I deal with my employers Exchange server.  I grab my email into
kmail via pop3 onto my work machine and make quite sure that my Mail folder
(about 80mb) is backed up.  For everything else and other places I use
Outlook Web Access.  I have given up reading work emails at home.  That way
lies chaos.

Tony