Re: [LUG] Old laptop as a server (Possibly OT)

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 5:53 pm, Robin Cornelius wrote:
The question is it safe to use a laptop 24/7 in this manner

I'd think the problems come down to ventilation and noise. Laptops (especially
old x86 ones) can be very noisy and commonly have poor ventilation,
especially if the lid is down (forming a kind of insulative layer). I find
that the area between the keyboard and the front of one laptop can get quite
warm - even when not on mains power. I wouldn't hide this box away in a
corner, maybe even raise the pre-built 'legs' so that the air intake at the
bottom remains free of dust.

running from
its powersupply with the battery left in as a crude UPS system

It would be crude - laptop batteries have a finite life and if you don't use
it (i.e. the mains power doesn't fail) you won't know if the laptop battery
is any good.

--

Neil Williams