Re: [LUG] How unstable is the Sid branch of Debian?

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 03:29:52 +0100
Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We can do you stable usable free software if you don't want to plug
into a proprietary mail server :)

Thanks Simon :p  I think we have already established that I _do_ want to plug into a
proprietary server!

Nope, that is "Experimental", but no one talks about that.

Aha!  So I guess that means I should be OK with Sid.

Mosts days it is fine, one day when you need the desktop to work it
will be broken after you "apt-get upgrade".

The Debian Reference explains how to "pin" packages from other
releases, which is how I would approach this requirement if it were
me, unless they let me replace Exchange of course.

OK, I've just read through the
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html page and it would
appear that pinning is to do with retaining old versions of packages when upgrading
en-mass.  I'm not sure this is what I want... but thanks for pointing out the
pinning thing since it has lead me to the correct page anyway.

Oh, and I don't think Cornwall College are likely to let me replace their Exchange
server(s).  I am, after all, a lowly part-time tutor.  Shame though.

For a work desktop you usually want "Stable", as you want security
patches and the like (today I've lost track of which releases have
security patches as the security team were supporting testing as
part of preparing the next release). Not much point deploying Debian
desktops if they aren't more reliable than the alternatives.

Evolution looks very impressive these days.

It's not a work desktop - it's (one of my) home desktops.  Since I'm not at College
too often (currently about once a week!) I am having to rely on using the horrible
"Outlook Web Access".  I have given my home address to most of my colleagues that
might need to email me, however, _that_ address does not appear on the College
directory, my College (@cornwall.ac.uk) address does.

Evolution... yes.  For my part the jury is still out on this.  Personally I would be
much happier with a backend approach to connecting to Exchange servers.  Far be it
for me to say, but I don't particularly like the idea of only being able to do so
from _one_ application.  What's that word... choice!  My preferred email client is
actually Sylpheed and I would quite like to continue using it for all my email needs
[sounds like a cheap advert].  For a GUI email client, it's simple and fast (I tried
mutt for a CLI client but I really wasn't that impressed).  It seems to load just as
quickly on my bro-in-law's 300MHz laptop as it does on my 1.1GHz machine.  To be
perfectly honest, I'm not even sure if this Novell/Ximian Connector thing is what
I'm looking for, but it keeps on cropping up when I look around for Exchange stuff.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Debian set of packages on Novell's download
site... and the sources for N/XConnector appear to complain about Evo
lution not being present!

Anyway, on with the questions!

I already have Sarge installed and running quite nicely, thankyou.  Am I right in
thinking that all I would need to do to turn this into a Sid installation would be
this:
+ Assault my sources.list with a carving knife and change everything around from
'testing' to 'unstable'
+ Run apt-get update
+ Run apt-get -u dist-upgrade
+ Make several cups of tea/coffee while I wait for it to do it's thing

Much appreciated.

Grant.

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.