Re: [LUG] Comments on Opensource solution providers

On Thursday 01 May 2003 6:50 pm, Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I actually thought it was one of the better laid out sites I have seen.
> Nice and clean, no annoying multimedia, it gets down to business and

Ummm - the Flash?? Flash is not installed by default in the nice new Linux
install that this whole process generates. There needs to be an index page
that OFFERS Flash before that NASTY warning box appears (and re-appears on
every page). Once Flash is refused, a full HTML version should be available.
I did this with the codehelp XML site - the whole site is mirrored in XML and
XHTML using PHP. It just takes a little code, not just clicking the icons in
an IDE (any IDE).

> tells you what you want to know.  Also, and very importantly it obeys
> the "3 clicks" rule where the information you want is never more than
> three clicks away.  Granted the blocks of text are a little impenetrable

True - but IMHO there's not much actual data at present so that is to be
expected. 3 clicks isn't so easy when there are many thousands of content
pages!

> > The website needs some work. I see you've probably done it under
> > Windows. The menu does not work very well, consider a list styled with
> > CSS. Try comply and validate to XHTML 1.1.

Definitely.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/