Re: [LUG] Comments on Opensource solution providers

On Thursday 01 May 2003 10:30 pm, Rick Timmis wrote:
> Kai Hendry wrote:
> >The website needs some work. I see you've probably done it under
> >Windows. The menu does not work very well, consider a list styled with
> >CSS. Try comply and validate to XHTML 1.1.
>
> The web site has been done using Dreamweaver.
> Menu's not working ??
> I have no problems in Mozilla 1.3, Nutscrape or Infernal Exploiter 6

It don't work in Konqueror. The DCLUG weblink in Mozilla doesn't fit in the
menu bar. That is broken. There's no excuse really, Dreamweaver is a shortcut
but it is all too simple to create extremely poor code. Just because the
first output of Dreamweaver looks decent, it does NOT follow that the code is
anywhere near good enough to create a reputable site.

> >The text should be better laid out. No one read blocks like there are
> >in:
> >http://www.sttechnology.co.uk/services.htm
>
> Now im not sure I agree with you hear, but... we have a lady at super
> tramp who has is well qualified in english lit and language. She will be
> reviewing the site shortly and her word is Law.

English Lit. is for the museum. English Lang. is for the Court. A website
needs to be understandable not high grammar. As a pharmacist I have to daily
re-phrase information for public consumption - like Adrian. There is no
substitute for making the text understandable. I like the idea of the Crystal
Mark but even that isn't suitable for many sites. It needs to read as if
written by someone next to you on the bus.

>  Create Satisfied customers by offering 1st class customer service,
> Straight Talking unbiased advice and Solutions that really work.

That's not a Code of Conduct, that's a soundbite. A half-way decent Code would
take up many many pages.

BTW. HTML verification really is important. It's daft for a pro-Linux website
not to run perfectly in Konqueror, after all, once complete, how best to
demonstrate the new environment but to use the tools provided in the new
Linux desktop? Barmy.

Write the code, don't just click the buttons!

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/