Re: [LUG] http://www.sttechnology.co.uk/

On Friday 02 May 2003 7:28 pm, Rick Timmis wrote:
> Now here's a problem
>
> For speed of delivering web content for our site we use WYSIWYG
>
> Currently Dreamweaver of Front Page offer a quick and dirty solution.

very dirty - both of 'em. Unless you are prepared to use Dreamweaver as a
starting point and do the rest by hand.

FrontPage? forget it. The code produced by FP is so bad it is quicker to
re-write the code from scratch than debug it.

> Sure we could sit and hand code stuff in Bluefish or some other Code
> editor, but this is a long winded process.

Most things worthwhile take time to achieve. SuperTramp didn't migrate
overnight, problems took time to solve and your site is no different. At the
St. Austell talk, Rick mentioned how he was grateful that the job of
migration had been properly allocated and supported. Same with the site - it
needs the hand of a competent person to craft it and hone it. Dedicated time
from an enthusiastic and willing contributor, not just a few idle moments
with a mouse and Dreamweaver.

> If we could find a good product running under Linux then we would grab
> it with both hands.

Quanta Plus? It leaves the emphasis clearly on code but with useful little
add-ons. Otherwise, I use Kate for all HTML/PHP/Perl/MySQL/C++ coding now.
Especially in KDE 3.1 but the KDE 3.0 version is usable.

> I would be interested in your views on what you think we should use to
> achieve the desired results ?

Kate
http://validator.w3.org/check/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789726173/neilwilliaprogra
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201354934/neilwilliaprogra
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565925157/neilwilliaprogra
http://www.codehelp.co.uk
lynx
Konqueror
Gimp (although the images are fine and you probably don't need to add any).

Always design to the standards, not to the herd.

I feel that the problems are symptomatic of a lot of the less active GNU
projects. LinuxFormat have an occassional feature of projects requesting help
and many (like NMS and GnuPG where I try and help) simply need better
testing, documentation and reporting. It's the final mile - the hardest part
of any project. The core work is done, the project works (of a fashion) but
troublesome bugs show up in unlikely places due to incomplete finishing. The
enthusiasm of the developer wanes, the drive is to get the product packaged
and distributed. The best GNU projects get this sorted - Mozilla and GPG are
good examples. The bug reporting and testing are robust and comprehensive -
the developers responsive and co-operative. I subscribe to gnupg-users and it
demonstrates how the Linux community is so much better at this final stage of
development than any closed-source project. Problems and test results are
aired in public, the developers respond in public, others contribute and the
result is incorporated into the next release.

It is a long process - it MUST be a long process or it simply isn't worth
doing. Much like locking down a server - it requires a lot of work up-front
but crucially it also requires an mandatory and ongoing commitment to
maintain and problem-solve. Sounds a lot like what you are promising
prospective clients, so I feel it is only fair that clients should expect the
same diligence in the care of the website itself. After all, the website IS
your main interface, your public face, your public-relations outlet and your
online persona.

That's why I might have sounded strongly critical of the first view of the
site - because it concerns me enormously that a pro-Linux pro-Open Source
site can so blatantly oppose the principles of the best of the Open Source
community.

Any blighter can write bad HTML - there is really no need to demonstrate how
many poor sites are out there. What the Linux community needs is more sites
that demonstrate excellence. Excellence in design, in craft, in execution and
in maintenance. There is little wrong with the basic design of the site. The
execution is awful because the craft has been omitted. Now it is up to the
maintenance to repair the damage and make the changes behind the scenes.

What the site needs is the same presentation on a standard-compliant
foundation. Keep the frontage, rebuild the structure.

As an absolute minimal requirement:
More use of CSS (validated).
Removal of all non-essential Flash.
Addition of complete and inclusive, equivalent (not alternative) content for
non-Flash visitors.
Dynamic content (or visitors simply won't come back). Login page for existing
customers, support tickets, contact forms not email links - see
www.eclipse.net.uk or www.purple-paw.com for ideas.)
More content.
Standard compliant HTML or XHTML (preferred).

This will lead to a usable Lynx environment, a working Konqueror
implementation and a reputable site - you will know that problems reported to
you by users with the site will be down to their browser / config.
environment and you can save a lot of support time. Face it, what is the best
platform to demonstrate your success at migration? Don't you want your own
site to perform perfectly in your new migrated systems???

- --

Neil Williams
http://www.codehelp.co.uk
http://www.dclug.org.uk