Re: [LUG] knoppix

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:27:22AM +0100, Ian P. Christian wrote:
> Quoting Jonathan Melhuish <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Personally, I see no reason why users can't be given free reign over their
> > own
> > personal settings.  I think the users would be far more endeared to the
> > system if they are able to personalise their own space.  I can see you might
> > want to stop people using porn as their desktop wallpaper, but I guess ought
> > to be dealt with on a individual basis!
>
> This is most likely not due to them lockign thigns down.  This is more likely
> due to the use of manditory profiles for the majority of users.  Having all
> ther users use the same profile is far more efficient, it means that when a
> user logs on, the profile will already be cached.  It also means that changes

It's apparently beyond Microsoft's comprehension that there are plenty
of situations where their write-back approach is worst that useless.

> to everyones registry can be made easy for the administrators.

A great many Windows programmers just don't appear to understand the
concept of multi-user or why the registry is split this way. The most
annoying ones are those who think they are being "clever" by making
the username part of a registry key.