Re: [LUG] Are there any linux engineers in North Devon?

Ylem are Linux and Unix engineers with 30 years experience 20 with Unix.

We have supplied many local businesses with Linux based systems. Yes we charge for our work but most companies wind up spending about half what they spent in previous years because we know what we are doing. On top of that we reduce the ongoing cost of working.

Customers include Heabvitree, Somerset Chamber of Commerce & Supertramp who also provide consutancy.

Give me a call if you want to discuss a proposition

Bill Wilson
MD Ylem Ltd
01398 323146

charles-dickens.com wrote:
Thank you Simon,

It's nice to know we aren't alone up here.

Our biz is right up against the wall right now and I only have a few days
left to sort things out.
I've set up a stand alone 1gig athlon 128meg 20gig HD (apache redhat 7.3) to
serve us in the short term (say 3-6 months). My brother sugested a one box
solution for the router/firwall and we purchased a netgear 814.
NTL were happy to provide a static ip after 6 weeks delays (AHHHH!)
They then informed us that we were not alowed to replace their bt router and
they will not support any hardware including firewalls.

It could be just me but I think it's time to change our IP and fast.

*Job Advert:

Tec. helper required on casual basis. Must be prepaired to work for a non
profit (well 12 years trading (4 years as internet only) and still to post a
profit) internet only bookstore. Pay is as much as we can afford untill we
post a profit, which we be lieve wont be too much longer now.*

The prognosis for our company growing very large is good once we have
suitable security as this has been the only thing that has curtailed our
position over the last 14 months.

I know Exeter University were doing some, and we met the technical guy
who was teaching some of them, he was competent, and knowledgable, but I
haven't seen him recently, but there is plenty of know-how at the Uni.

We will get in touch and have a chat in the next few weeks.

Not that I can recall immediately, but we are an informal lot, you can
even call your own meeting if you can supply a venue, and a reason to
turn up other than solving your problems (beer, and chat is usually a
sufficient).

Should we get ourselves out of this whole we seem to be stuck in we would
love to do something.

Ivan