Re: [LUG] Databases

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 10:36, you wrote:

What is special about Paradox (and for that matter all Windows databases
that I have encountered) is that the GUI is built in as part of the
program. There is no need to call up a separate GUI program and then
link them. This is what makes Paradox et al so much easier to set up. I
have yet to find a Linux database that does the same thing. Anyone....??

I am lead to believe by my reading, and I suppose some accumulation of
experience, that this is actually a part of the Unix (and therefore Linux)
engineering tradition.
So a feature, a condition, a philosophy, rather than a lack.

My Windows database experience - which includes writing a reasonably
promising GP record system - I've used it but would not yet inflict it on
anyone else willingly, and some straightforward database stuff - is that
Access is useful for speeding up the working out of tables and joins, but
that if one wants anything like performance and cleverness then writing the
code in Visual basic is the best plan (of those available to non-C
programmers like me.)

So one then has a backend which is the Access database/engine, bound to the
front end which is the GUI and much of the business rules.

You need to make a point I'd say, that in the same way that <deep breath>
Emacs is required to be a huge program, because one could not assemble all
the Vi sized programs required to do that mega-job, that there is a reason
for monlithising an existing or new database with an existing or new front
end.

Alternatively, is the need for a development or design environment that
doesn't do the work, but does autmatically assemble certain components of the
eventual product.

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/