Re: [LUG] Databases

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:07:43 +0000
Adrian Midgley <akm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday 02 December 2002 20:57, you wrote:
I moved across to Linux quite a long time ago. I find that I can do
most things that I want on Linux with one notable exception. The one
thing missing from Linux is a good GUI database in the style of
Paradox. At least I have not yet found one.

What is it that is special about Paradox?
The GUI for Linux databases seems to be a Web browser (or
Tk/TCL/TkInter HTML widget) or alternatively something done with the
database and data cotnrol components of Kylix.

Not that I can actually _do_ any of the above, but I havn't done
Paradox either.

What is special about Paradox (and for that matter all Windows databases
that I have encountered) is that the GUI is built in as part of the
program. There is no need to call up a separate GUI program and then
link them. This is what makes Paradox et al so much easier to set up. I
have yet to find a Linux database that does the same thing. Anyone....??

Neil Winchurst