Re: [LUG] Databases

Neil Winchurst wrote:

What is special about Paradox (and for that matter all Windows databases
that I have encountered) is that the GUI is built in as part of the
program. There is no need to call up a separate GUI program and then
link them. This is what makes Paradox et al so much easier to set up. I
have yet to find a Linux database that does the same thing. Anyone....??

At the risk of telling you what you want, I've done Access, and
I've done VB with JetDB (or whatever it is branded today) and VB
with Jetdb was lightyears ahead of Access.

Certainly Access isn't really part of JetDB it is just the level
of integration, the database backend is distinct (and optional)
component, which can even be seperately upgraded (and in some
cases HAD to be seperately upgraded to keep your data safe).

So if you are doing databases for other people I think a
separate database is fine, you just need better tools for
managing or developing. Borland JBuilder was the first tool with
integrated databound controls (at run and design time) that I
saw on GNU/Linux, I hesitate to recommend it as it is
proprietary but perhaps you should compare/contrast.

Most projects I find the ability to manage data and structure in
the database irrelevant, as I find it better to have DML/DDL
scripts to create databases, load test data, migrate from
version 1 schema to version 2, and have these scripts under
source code management.

Otherwise how do you attain CMM level 1 ;-)

Sure you can bundle a version of Postgres with whatever
appplication you like, even Doctor's have been known to do that,
ask Dr Midgeley he got sent a whole open source medical record
system with a version of Postgres in the tar ball, along with
about 5 other major open source project binaries all nicely
prebuilt. I didn't like it, the GUI looked like it was created
by a doctor, not a GUI designer, but that wasn't to do with
database integration.

Simon