Re: [LUG] '4 areas where LINUX still FAILS compared to other operating systems'

On 13/02/2022 10:46, George Parker wrote:
On 10/02/2022 08:13, L Smith via list wrote:
If Linux fails compared with other operating systems, how come I am still using it in preference to the 14 years later? The simple fact is that I do not need those "missing" options he quotes and that is likely to be the same for most Linux users.

On Wednesday, 9 February 2022, 17:52:04 GMT, Tom via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 09/02/2022 16:02, Giles Coochey wrote:

> On 09/02/2022 14:10, Julian Hall wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIClssVcVoo
>>

> Didn't watch the video, but opened the YouTube transcript (why are
> people so lazy to just put out heavily intensive bandwidth video
> opinions when a well worded article would do just fine?), anyway this
> guy is either illiterate, or YouTube's transcript service is awful.

The number of 5/10/15m videos I've seen that can be replaced more
usefully by a couple of paragraphs is really quite astounding.

Tom te tom te tom

The point of this video seems to be missed by most responders here except Eion. What this guy is on about is bringing in new people to Linux. This is young people who are choosing a new computer, have been brought up on Windows (admit it, how many have not started on Windows?), why should they even think of Linux? I've been using Linux for over 20 years but I've been playing around with computers since 1980 and am not your typical user. We are a niche market and will remain so unless something changes drastically. Being evangelical about Linux does not work in bringing in new users. I am just about to write a letter to Which magazine because this month in answer to a letter from someone saying "Why don't you include Linux in your computer comparisons, not just Microsoft and Mac?" the answer was because there is no call for it. No-one knows about Linux. And that is true. Now that I have written this I am not sure what I can say to Which which will prove them wrong.

George

Agreed. The point of the post, and the video, was and is the best way to /encourage/ users to adopt Linux in favour of other OSs, usually Windows. It does that by asking the simple question 'What is the most common use of computers, where Linux performs poorly?' Answers to this include gaming, hardware support and proprietary hardware/software. Like it or not gaming is a huge industry, some hardware is not fully supported - if at all. What about companies who have had software written for them? They won't spend /more/ money converting it to Linux. As George says evangelising is the wrong approach; improve these areas and take-up should increase.

Also nobody has mentioned Live Distros. You can't get a live distro of Windows or Mac, free or otherwise. You /can/ of Linux so there is really nothing to stop anyone downloading and burning an ISO just to see if Linux even likes their installation. If they get on OK then they can think about installing it.

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley