Re: [LUG] A pretend rant

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 12:24:23 +0000
Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Interesting. My first ever distro when I started with Linux was
> Mandrake. But I don't remember paying for it. I do remember that it
> became Mandriva, and I moved on.
>
> Neil

Free versions of Mandrake came with Magazines. The boxed full versions,
together with Debian and SuSe could be purchased at PC World. Mandrake
was my favourite. Anyone remember playing Tetris whilst it loaded?

Mandrake was my favourite until Librenet Linux came along. However, the
owner had terminal cancer and it came to an abrupt end.

https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=01741  is a blast from the past.

It was the nearest "out of the box" distro of the time but was fairly
expensive. Since then for the past 20 years or so I've used Debian as
my workhorse.

I have a "trials" PC which I load with various distros as they come
and go but have not found anything to surpass Debian. The only two
additional programmes that I add to the basic Debian desktop
installation are Synaptic and Claws Mail.

Wishing you all the best for the New Year.

David