Re: [LUG] interesting points -

Aaron Trevena wrote:
> On 15/12/06, William Fidell <william@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> To be honest I think that Agile Development is outside of the course
>> remit - there are is a lot of information to cover.  And although I only
>> had the slimmest of contact with them I had the feeling it was aimed a
>> little higher than day to day management.
>
> MBA's don't actually do management, they do management consultancy
> which combines the worst of PHB and Consultancy into one hugely
> profitable venture, and currently costs the taxpayer millions of quid
> a month.
>
> I've only met one person who admitted to having an MBA, he seemed
> quite proud of it, and he was frankly, a complete muppet, he was a
> marketing director and a total weasel, in fact everything that you'd
> expect from somebody with an MBA. He was the bright star who decided
> to change the name of a global logistics company and rebrand it
> entirely at huge expense, neglecting to tell anybody anywhere what the
> new logos or domain names were, so after all the new brochures with
> new domains, etc went out, the domain names weren't registered, the
> email addresses didn't work, and the website had a different company
> name and logo. He was frankly the worst kind of PHB I've ever had to
> deal with.
>
> A.

Lets be honest, most courses at Masters level are about uni's making
money, and the entry requirements are based on the wallet not the brain.
   Admittedly, Plymouth Uni may not be highest of standards (not that I
am slagging it off) but some of MSc / MBA /MBM students that I have met
would struggle to dribble on a paper.  To give an example in one module
I shared with the business school we were required to write a 2000 word
essay between 6 people!

Having said that I have and MSc from plymouth, I am currently seeing
someone with a MBM and I quite enjoyed studying the tactical and
strategic analysis of businesses.  Never had to use it mind.

Wills