Re: [LUG] interesting points -

Aaron Trevena wrote:

> Also read James Dyson's book for more about how VC in the UK was
> bloody awful - he had a good idea, minimal risk and couldn't secure VC
> or Bank loans and like pretty much anyone who has succeded in
> kick-starting a business in the UK had to borrow heavily against his
> home and invest every penny and moment he had.

I think Aaron must have had very bad experiences somewhere....

I did significant work for 3 venture capital backed ventures, two new UK
businesses, and 1 established US one.

The US one did a lot better but I think was entirely down to being an
established company at the core, with market share, clueful and
experienced in house support and engineering. The venture largely fell
down because of the demands of the VC, and focusing on the VC needs over
those of key customers.

One of the UK ones clearly was never going to succeed, it didn't require
an MBA to workout it needed to obtain such a large share of the European
market to recover the money invested, that it could never have succeeded.

The other one was more plausible, and failed I suspect due to inadequate
sales effort, and excessive ambitions.

Perhaps the problem is the model described, it doesn't allow for slow
steady growth, which is what most companies can hope for. They all
wanted to be number one in huge, new and expanding markets, but with too
many generals, and too few troops, and without offering those troops the
kind of incentives that would make them do the near impossible.

It also encourages those seeking funding to over promise, overstate the
market, etc. I think with the US one, with a fifth of the money, and
twice the imagination, I could have made the company a major player in
its market. But it would have required smaller revenues for several
years, and a few years ramping up the sales and services side.

But it is very scary to see people with big sums of money, pouring it
into things that are obviously never going to repay.