[LUG]Re: Book storage [was Introducing New Member]

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 06:08:28 +0100
Mark Thurston <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  > be a lot of fun building the PostgeSQL database, and writing the
>  > code But the final reason for not using
>  > calibre is that it will not run on the official raspberry pi OS
>  > because that runs in 32bit mode.
>
> I'm not sure about the previous points but this is no longer
> completely correct. Although previously, no official 64 bit versions
> were available (even though the Pi 4 does have a 64 bit processor),
> official 64 bit versions have been available for a while:
> https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/
>
> (I know this as I had to use non-official 64 bit images before the
> official one became available to get another proprietary package
> working)

You have missed the point! Their is indeed a 64bit version of the
Raspberry Pi OS, but the officially recommended version is 32bit, which
means that the same boot images can run on any version of Pi without
losing the efficient use of limited RAM resources which the 32bit image
provides. So I use 32bit mode so that my b oot images work equally well
on any of my Raspberry Pis.