[LUG]Re: Digging Emacs out of the grave.

Hi,

On 26/03/2023 13:43, Tom via list wrote:
As I mentioned elsewhere I've been playing with Lisp and I thought I'd have a crack at getting Slime (an Emacs extension/add on for Lisp) and in setting it up I notice it asks for mods to be made to .emacs which I expected to find in my home directory (I've played with Emac recently) only to discover .emacs.d directory which I presume is some modern repository for all things emacsy. Do I create a .emacs file in here or just in my home directory?

As others have said, you *can* create a .emacs file in your home directory, which overrides the .emacs.d contents, but the recommended practice is to create .emacs.d/init.el, and put anything you would put in .emacs in there instead.

Your customizations (from customize-group/customize-variable) end up in .emacs.d/custom.el rather than cluttering your .emacs file.

Cheers,

Anthony