[LUG]Re: Digging Emacs out of the grave.

Yup - “just” create a flat-text file called “.emacs” in your home directory and
onward you go.
Your .emacs will grow over an extended period of time.  With the instructions /
customisations you put in it.
All sorts of things you’ll realise you want and find you can have.