[LUG]Re: OT: Ad Blocking at router level

> I've heard DNS level blocking (PiHole) is no longer very effective
> for YouTube adverts unfortunately. I'm pretty sure it's no longer as
> good as application level blocking (browser ad-block extensions).

If it's just YouTube adverts which PiHole is insufficient for, I can
highly recommend Invidious: https://invidious.io/

It's a web service that you can run yourself to put a kind of proxy in
between YouTube and your browser. I have it running in a container on
my LAN. It removes adverts, allows you to download the videos and is
just generally less cluttered than the official YouTube site.

The only scenario I can imagine where this wouldn't work is with
Android 'smart' TVs, on which the web browsers are usually incapable
of playing video properly and so only the first-party YouTube app is
available.

There are similiar programs for Twitter and Reddit:

https://nitter.net/about

https://codeberg.org/teddit/teddit

Best wishes,

Sebastian