Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi for the boy's 8th birthday!

Hi Roly

Good to hear from you. I guess this response is more of a plug for code club, but may be of interest.

I am still running code club at Paignton Library (first and third) Saturday and also a stem group (along side Lucy Morgan) on the 2nd Saturday of the month.

While code club is originally (and officially) 9-13 year olds, We do have younger children with parents. As long as someone can stay, he is welcome. But under 8's need to be with an adult anyway (library policy). With the curriculum including coding, then more kids are familiar with scratch anyway.

John has also made a good few suggestions, in fact at the library we have

Micro:bits
Pi's
Lego Mindstorms
Lego WeDo

Plus access to computers + software such as blender, audacity, rocks n diamonds, sonic pi and tupi-draw (for simple animation)

If you have a tablet and would like to have ago you will need the WeDo App and for the mindstorms something called NXT remote control (3rd party app I think in play store) as we only have the original NXT brick, We also have brick Pi ( https://www.dexterindustries.com/)

With the School curriculum, they are just learning fundamentals, especially at in year 3.

loops
variables
sequencing
debugging
input / output
repetition

As part of a STEM order a while back we got 5 copies of this

https://usborne.com/gb/coding-for-beginners-using-python-9781409599340

So Paignton Library have 1x copy of this in stock, for general loan, the others are for use at code club / stem group.

But we ordered 5 for stem group, so 4 available and 1 for the library shelf. A good book, for learning basics of python.

Hope this helps

Paul