Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi for the boy's 8th birthday!

Breaking list-etiquette for brevity ..

Whilst I would have certainly agreed with your points John about 5 years ago, the Pi landscape has changed a lot in the past 3 years, and with respect to your son, isn't quite as bad as I noted when the Pi Model A+ first launched, with all its limitations...

The Pi4B is now quad-core, of a sensible capacity, and the peripherals are now on a sensible bus, not the single USB lane advertised by the old ARMv6 core.
A -lot- of effort has gone into upstreaming support for the Pi's GPU, and in many circumstances, video acceleration is on-par with an old laptop, and in other circumstances, better, depending on your choice of 'ancient hardware'.
Added to this, there are LOTS of projects making use of the Pi in a 'PiTop' type form-factor, which brings in all the necessary peripherals in a fun package! And no desktop 'brick' PSU in sight ..

I have a good variety of 'old'/modest tech, and each has it's own use and limitations. True, I have about 7 headless ARM units (only one Pi at present...) and I am targetting the new Pi Two-Zero-W for a wireless "magic-mirror" project, because it is low-power and small (yes, I bought an expensive-at-the-time, TFT touch-panel a-la tablets galore) which is the display tech.
I have a couple of 10" "netbooks" which are ideal for 'working on the train' as the modest 15" laptop will not fit on most craft running around the country of late.

All that said, my modest AMD APU laptop struggles with YouTube and particularly Twitch, but will just about run Steam and modest games with its 16G RAM - that said, I do hammer it with hundreds of windows open at once (Chromium, Thunderbird plus various chat platforms, Discord, etc).

Very much horses for courses then - if it was a student we were talking about, I think we've had the discussion that buying the best laptop you can afford is always the best option, but there are plenty of activities centred around Linux and the Pi platform (Amongst others) which you can get involved in around Devon even (I attended three...) for young people exploring tech and embedded computing (A topic just barely coming to life in the late 90s when I went to university). So, whilst if you want to do the basic computing tasks that any modern tablet/phone will do best, use those, but a Pi will offer much more than that, and nicely in-between a 'pro'/gaming laptop with all its bell and whistles (and associated costs!).

The Pi was always a 'learning' platform, and the ecosystem around that reflects that. So don't discard it out-of-hand, despite its .. quirky.. hardware choices!

</my 2dollar>
Regards,

Michael / veremitz.
PS. As an anecdote, if you want to get complicated, there are lots of more-capable cheap ARM devices out there, but 'support' varies wildly. This, in itself, is quite an instructive learning process, but certainly not for the feint-hearted...