Re: [LUG] Fw: [SECURITY] [DSA 5015-1] samba security update

On 02/12/2021 03:24, Michael Everitt wrote:
> On 01/12/2021 16:26, Sebastian wrote:
>> Dear Dom,

>>> To be honest, I think it's a valid post to make, it could be some
>>> people are still on older versions of Debian. One of my servers is
>>> on the latest, sure.
>> I think you are unique on this list with your penchant for
>> millennium-edition software, but I'll take your point! :D
>>
>> The Debian security team can surely be afforded some praise here. They
>> recently published their 5000th security advisory (in openjdk, for
>> those interested), and the bugs are nearly always fixed in a matter of
>> days.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
> My experience of computer 'security' teams (Gentoo specifically) is that any
> discussion of a security issue is usually embargoed until there is a fix available.
> And once that fix is pushed live, then the security announcement follows. In some
> cases, this can delay exposure of a vulnerability, but you can see why generally,
> this is better practice than the reverse (hopefully!) ...
>
> veremitz/Michael.

Fully concur with embargo until fixed, to avoid easy misuse of fault,
not just in software.
However in hardware e.g. engines / oil rigs full publicity of a fault
should be made immediately to save lives.
Think suppression of cold altering elastomers which caused the
Challenger disaster.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald