Re: [LUG] Fw: [SECURITY] [DSA 5015-1] samba security update

On 01/12/2021 16:26, Sebastian wrote:
> Dear Dom,
>
>>> Looks like this has been fixed since Debian 10 'Oldstable' Buster, so
>>> I shouldn't imagine anyone on this mailing list is affected :)
>> To be honest, I think it's a valid post to make, it could be some
>> people are still on older versions of Debian. One of my servers is
>> on the latest, sure.
> I think you are unique on this list with your penchant for
> millennium-edition software, but I'll take your point! :D
>
> The Debian security team can surely be afforded some praise here. They
> recently published their 5000th security advisory (in openjdk, for
> those interested), and the bugs are nearly always fixed in a matter of
> days.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Sebastian

My experience of computer 'security' teams (Gentoo specifically) is that any
discussion of a security issue is usually embargoed until there is a fix available.
And once that fix is pushed live, then the security announcement follows. In some
cases, this can delay exposure of a vulnerability, but you can see why generally,
this is better practice than the reverse (hopefully!) ...

veremitz/Michael.