Re: [LUG] Ubuntu

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021, 18:51 Neil, <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. It is the whole layout of the desktop which
throws me. I suppose I could change the desktop to xfce, which I know
well. Did not think of that. And anyway, MX comes with xfce out of the box.

Neil, you've been using Linux systems for quite some time now. You *know* Linux systems are essentially "modular" and have a multitude of options to achieve the same thing (how many different text editors?!). The fact that you didn't think of simply installing XFCE instead of considering changing your entire distro... I think you need to have a quiet word with yourself.

For example, right at the start I wanted to change the background of the
desktop to a plain colour. All the pretty pictures on offer are just a
silly distraction to me. Could not find a way to do that.

I wanted to install synaptic, which I like and know well. Could not find
a way to do that.

Command line! Both MXLinux and Ubuntu use the same package management underneath the hood... apt!

In the end I lost patience. I suppose the lesson is, stay with the
distro you know best.

Or... ask questions and learn.

Grant. :)