Re: [LUG] Ubuntu

On 31/07/2021 15:09, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 31/07/2021 13:36, Michael Everitt wrote:
On 31/07/2021 13:29, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2021, 13:13 Neil, <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     I have been using Linux for many years, so have tried many distros.
     However I have never tried Ubuntu, although I have used Kubuntu,
     Xubuntu, Lubuntu and other Ubuntu based distros.

     Recently I bought a new laptop. Ubuntu 20.04 was already installed on
     it. Since I now use MX Linux I never even looked at the installed
     distro. I immediately replaced it with the latest MX, removing Ubuntu
     while I was at it. When I mentioned this to the supplier he was a bit
     concerned. All his other customers apparently are happy to stay with
     Ubuntu. I am the odd one out. He seemed to expect me to have problems
     using MX. I didn't.

     However, this made me decide to have a look at Ubuntu, for the first
     time ever. So I set up the ISO on a USB stick and had a play. Oh
     dear.
     Is it me?

     I have tried many other distros apart from those already
     mentioned. And,
     for me at least, Ubuntu is the worst I have ever looked at. I just
     cannot get anywhere with is. I have tried hard, honest. I have
     spent a
     lot of time on it.

     I know that Ubuntu has had many changes over the past few years, but
     even so.

     Have other list members been able to use Ubuntu with no problems?
     I have
     had a look at some reviews, which have not helped.

     Is it me?

     Neil

If memory serves me correctly, plain ol' Ubuntu Desktop now comes with
Gnome by default rather than Ubuntu's own Unity desktop environment.
So it sounds like you're simply not comfortable with the Gnome
desktop. But you can change it out for a different one easily enough,
if you want to.

Grant.

Basically you can get a 'Ubuntu' that looks like MX by downloading one of:
- Kubuntu (Ubuntu + KDE baked in)
- Xubuntu (Ubuntu + XFCE baked-in)
vanilla Ubuntu is Gnome ('Gubuntu' if you will)

If you wish, you can even install Fluxbox in Buntu too ..
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/installing-fluxbox-on-ubuntu-linux/

Hth,
veremitz/Michael/etc.

I normally use openSUSE (since version 8) as my main distro. However
the annual re-install or total upgrade by a downloaded ISO to DVD  or
USB is much more than some of may aged 'pupils' can handle. My support
for upgrade may not be possible due distance etc.
Same problem on other distros.

I keep one old machine on Xubuntu for 'education display' to my seniors.

I have found that Xubuntu on LTS version, currently 20.04 Ubuntu base,
which allows setting to upgrade to next LTS in 2 years time solves
upgrade / update problem, and most of the seniors are able to handle it
easily.
They can even do the upgrade line in Terminal "sudo apt-get update &&
sudo apt-get upgrade" with ease once taught, or stick to graphical app.

So what is it about "Ubuntu" Gnome you do not like?
Have you tried Xubuntu?

Yes, I used Xubuntu for years. But that was nothing like this distro I had on the USB. I just could not work out any way to use it. My fault, no doubt. And updates on MX are very easy. There is a GUI for it, or you can use the terminal, which is what I do.

Where does it not meet your requirements?> Kindest regards
Eion MacDonald

Well, I could hardly get started on it. To me one of the major assets to Linux is that it is so easy to change how things work. Obviously I did not try hard enough. In the end I thought why spend time on this? Let's stick with what I know.

Neil