Re: [LUG] ThinkPad Laptops

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 4:08 PM comrade meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/07/2021 15:36, Roland Tarver via list wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> My old net book (Samsung N130!!) is just too slow. Surfing the net is
> just painful. I need a new (proper) laptop.
>
> I have always fancied a ThinkPad because of their build quality and
> reputation.
>
> I am also aware that in more recent years Lenovo have perhaps been
> trading on this reputation?
>
> I spend most of my time in a terminal. However, the most demanding
> things it will be used for are surfing the net, watching videos on you
> tube, watching a movie, infrequent and very basic photo editing and the
> kids homework. So nothing mega. I anticipate it being a faithful servant
> for many years to come. Budget is variable. Would certainly consider a
> refurbished model as well as buying brand new.
>
> Some of the models I am considering are:-
>
> - One of the X1 Carbon models
> - T460
> - T450
> - T420 (very old, but still good?)
>
> I would very much welcome your comments and any other advice. I will
> probably put Debian or Mint on it. Thanks very much.

Dear Mr. Meowski !!

Sorry for a very late reply - didn't have the time until now! lol. Thanks very much for your input; you seem ridiculously intelligent and I kind of feel I need to complete some sort of approved course before replying to you haha! ....

A quick question: this is just for a home personal device right, not a
professional tool for your work?

yup

A quick answer: yes, Lenovo have been trading very unfairly on the
ThinkPad name since they bought the business from IBM in 2005. Even IBM
themselves had been phoning in low effort ThinkPads for a while by that
point I'm afraid. The golden era of ThinkPads that people think of so
fondly was *literally* last century I'm afraid - I know, I've got
several from that period and have used/admin'd most models since. Please
put any idea of Lenovo ThinPads being somehow better quality than others
entirely aside, it's not been true for two decades.

Their Pro units - just like the Pro units from most other manufacturers
- are in a different class from the consumer stuff. See "Lurker Katie's"
excellent email for great insights into what a Pro unit is like: and
it's downsides.

A T420 is already 10 years old. I really don't recommend buying a 10
year old potato particularly, no matter how light your predicted usage
model is expected to be. As for video editing, again, please see Katie's
email for some clues as to why this is never going to happen on a potato

hahaha its not a potato; its a laptop. haha :-p

To all the rest of you recommending potatoes, please stop. Roly needs a
computer, not a potato.

The X1 Carbon model you found (
https://www.tier1online.com/728-20bts03n00/refurbished-x1-carbon-3rd-gen-i5-5200u-2-20ghz-14-fhd-8gb-180gb-ssd-grade-a)
is heavily overpriced. A comparable Dell Latitude professional model
with much better specs can be Ebayed for £300-£350 with patience. I
usually buy refurbed i7s + 16Gb RAM + SSD + 1080p matte screen for that
price (admittedly the market is a bit messed up currently due to Covid,
etc).

Noted, thank you! So erm, sadly I read this after making a purchase. I did buy a ThinkPad. A t460. i5 16gb 256ssd 1080p. Had a few delivery issues. Only just got it today. Using it now, with windows 10 (shudder) lol. Seems pretty good so far. Sooo fast compared to what Im used to. So I guess im pretty pleased - despite not following your suggestions.

Consider the Huawei MateBook George mentioned: they are really, really
cool little machines. 3000x2000 screen, super fun.

Most importantly, I'm guessing you love computers? Use them a lot? I
mean you're on a LUG, you're probably a computer nerd right? Best advice
I've ever given anyone for computing is if you like computers just think
about the hundreds or thousands of hours you'll use this for over the
coming years. Ameliorate that cost down to pence per day and think about
the numbers long and hard. Don't cheat yourself. If the budget isn't
there, then it's not there, fair enough. Save up.

SPEND MOAR MONEYEZ!

It's that simple. Don't cheat yourself and put up with some shitty awful
thing. Why would anyone do that to do themselves? Let alone a computer
enthusiast?! Treat yourself, buy a decent computer. Hell go crazy, buy a
genuinely nice computer. Have you ever owned a brand new, high end
computer? It's really, really nice. Think about it.

^ this does make a lot of sense! If this t460 proves crap I will save up / sell a kidney etc. haha.

My most recent acquisition is a Dell XPS 9310 with every single box
checked. List price: £2400. I didn't pay for it luckily, and expect to
give it back at some point in the next couple of years when my work with
that employer comes to an end. However I would buy one if it came to it:
for a predicted lifespan of say 10 years (after which it could be sold
to recoup some money) even at that eye watering price it's less than
£1/day to own and use the nicest laptop on the face of the planet.
Obviously this is a professional tool used for making money and will
more than pay for itself countless times over so it's different from a
regular home computer but all the same.

Don't buy a potato, value your time, money and just your own pure
enjoyment more!

Good advice. Thanks again.
Cheers Roly :-)