Re: [LUG] ThinkPad Laptops

On 13/07/2021 16:07, comrade meowski wrote:
> A comparable Dell Latitude professional model with much better specs

Even when I could spend my money (for job, and earning per diem) I chose
to go Dell Latitude second-hand. No guarantee of work and my own company
 insurance liability was my biggest spend [High risk oil industry with
offshore 'possible' call out (never occurred), my day rates offshore
were 3 time rates on-shore, but insurance had to be valid at all
times.]. It was easier to insure for visits to Soviet Union!

I found Dell latitude suitable for work with client (a Windows only
establishment) good spec i7 4GB RAM for 3 years before my purchase.
Build circa 2009) upgraded RAM to 16GB. Still going since start; with
external hard disc Linux and internal hard disc Windows. No problems
with the distos I use (Live Knoppix & installed openSUSE).
However very little video editing.(I only cut & trim YouTube ones for
teaching seniors or cut and resave for jumping Great Wall).

-
regards
Eion MacDonald