[LUG] Debian Install pointers - it's been a while.

Hi Folks,

So, now I have a new* windows 10 laptop and need to install my favourite distro, Debian. I'm not an IT pro but have been exclusively using Linux successfully for around 10 years now. I have probably done under 20 installs during this time. The distro's I have selected have all had very easy graphical installers and I used them with the defaults. I have never done any serious command line fettling during an install - I don't have the skill(yet).

One major difference for this install, as compared to previous, is that I would like to keep the windows partition and be able to boot into it. The *only* reason for this is if the kids *need* a specific application that is only available on windoze. Previously I have successfully managed to dual boot a machine; but, I have also heard about disk-images and virtual machines. But this is where my knowledge of this topic ends. Never used them before.  Could I virtualise the windows instance and use it on a debian base? or is that not done/wise?

I found some reasonable instructions to guide me through a dual boot install. It has been a while. lol
https://www.linuxtechi.com/dual-boot-windows-10-debian-10/

Thanks for any pointers.
I'm now off to eat an ice cream waffle from just-eat!! haha! It's turning into a day of firsts. lol...

cheers roly :-)

* NOT Meowski approved ;-) :-D. ThinkPad T460 i5 16GB 256GB