Re: [LUG] OT: Power-line extenders - highest throughput? Also WiFi cards that support monitor mode

On 10/07/2021 12:43, Simon Waters wrote:
> On Friday, 9 July 2021 22:36:33 BST Michael Everitt wrote:
>> Cat5e/6+ is cheap (very cheap). Run cables.
> I suspect we will.
>
>> Regarding "AP-mode" for wireless cards, check out the penetration-testing
>> linux distributions for support (I know devs in Pentoo and Kali, and
>> they're always fixing something...)
> Yeah, the card I'm trying is similar to the low cost recommendation from
> someone who literally tried them all a couple of months ago.
>
> This is "monitor" mode, not "master" mode, it is required to eavesdrop. Whilst
> a few cards don't support "master" mode, many have "monitor" mode deliberately
> disabled.
>
> The chipset driver loaded in mt7662u, reports maximum link speed of 480Mbps,
> no sign of  the built in BlueTooth being supported under Linux (I guess that
> is a shame as this PC doesn't have it built in). So it isn't going to get you
> the advertised 866Mbps under Linux, but seems a decent Wi-Fi card for £12.
> Suspect you can pay 3 times the price for the same physical hardware with a
> brand you recognise on.

Anecdotally, done anything with Zigbee? I kinda wanted to "hack" into my IHD (smart
meter) info stream, so I could monitor/graph data on a sub-hour basis (which the
energy company do by default for billing) ?
I've got a dongle which will do the 'sniffing' but I'm not sure whether it's deaf
(can't see the signal) can't decode the signal .. or else. Probably a combination of
lack of knowledge and PEBKAC .. oh wait ..

Anyone else feel free to chime in, and I'll start a new thread if anyone bites ..

Cheers,
Michael / veremitz.