Re: [LUG] OT: Power-line extenders - highest throughput? Also WiFi cards that support monitor mode

On 09/07/2021 22:06, Simon Waters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> weighing up the power-line range extender versus cabling.
>
> Current (admittedly very cheap) power-line range extender seems to max out
> just under 100Mbps on wired ethernet to wired ethernet, which is  the maximum
> of what I expected given the cables and devices in use.
>
> What kit are people using to get the best throughput on power-line extenders?
> And what is the best throughput you are getting?
>
> Not really bothered with WiFi at this point in that anything that does the
> desired performance on the physical ethernet likely also to offer 802.11ac or
> WiFi 6.
>
> Currently Ookla measured download speed to the gaming PC is 93Mbps, but this
> involved donating all my good kit to my son (my Internet slowed by a factor of
> 3).
>
> Also going to get quote for Cat 6 cabling as my cabling skills are modest.
>
> Time to make everything ~1Gbps.
>
> Also noted that USB WifI adapters using "Mediatek mt7612u " chipset cards are
> down to around £12 (Terow Row02CD - I believe the recommended low cost one in
> the US was the Terow ROW02FD but I failed to find technical details on the
> difference between these models). I'm going to give it a try at that price. The
> chip-set supports monitor mode in Linux, and the Amazon UK reviews say it
> "just works" in Linux. Definitely be my new Wireless Pen Test card if it works
> well. Some of the reviews suggest it may not be terribly fast, I guess a
> compromise is made somewhere to get to that price point.

Cat5e/6+ is cheap (very cheap). Run cables.

If you absolutely can't hide/bury/conduit cables, for whatever reason, Mesh network
it or use Point-to-Point links with beam-steering WiFi (most modern kit is capable of
this, and improves  coverage significantly).

Ethernet-over-Power is completely unregulated, and only moderately reliable for
single-circuit links/spurs. It's really not clever to connect your ring circuits to a
big source of RF/digital energy as the rings make a beautiful antennae, and yes, they
do radiate all over the place.
They don't tend to work cross-circuit as most modern protection devices have coils in
them which don't like RF frequencies generally.

Regarding "AP-mode" for wireless cards, check out the penetration-testing linux
distributions for support (I know devs in Pentoo and Kali, and they're always fixing
something...)

</my 2 dollars>