Re: [LUG] FTTP internet connection in Cornwall

On Friday, 18 June 2021 21:05:55 BST Gordon Henderson wrote:

> So you're getting ~80Mb/sec in and 20Mb/sec up...
>
> Nice, but I get that on FTTC:
>
>   Connected : Down Stream : 77056Kbps / Up Stream : 19999Kbps
>
> If you're going to use FTTP then do have the decency of moving to a higher
> speed and make us old copperheads really jealous!

I got 60Mbps down, 52 Mbps up on last speed test on fibre from my desktop,
paying what I paid for a phone line and FTTP before. So I lost some down and
gained some up, but for WiFi clients it isn't even noticeable as most max out
at 30Mbps down due to their own limitations.

In theory we have a substantially faster connection, but individual clients
don't see it, so unless I cable the house properly, there is little reason to
throw more money at the ISP. Indeed I probably should downgrade it till I'm fit
enough to get back to work, but hey this is when I use it most.

Given the mess Jurassic Fibre's admin seems to be, the network is fine, but
then I got the impression talking to them, they were people who knew how to
roll out a fibre network, no one mentioned their experience billing for it.