Re: [LUG] Only two weeks to stop your medical records being available

On 09/06/2021 09:28, Le Loft wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jun 2021 12:57:38 +0100
> Peter Walker <peter.walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Good idea. As I understand it, opt out 2 controls how your
>> information is used when it is within the NHS system. Opt out 1 tells
>> your GP not to upload your practice notes to the NHS system. If you
>> have not returned opt out 1 by the end of the month then when the big
>> data slurp happens your data will be uploaded.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Pete
>
> As I understand it (which is not at all), the opt-out only applies to
> subsequent data being harvested: everything that is already a part of
> your medical record is excluded from the opt-out:
>
>       "(you can opt out after 23 June, but NHS Digital holds on to
>       whatever data it has obtained, and still makes it available to
>       third parties)."
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/03/gp-nhs-digital-data-patients-records-england
>
> I'm not sure that there is much advantage to the opt-out: it seems that
> telling your GP everything is like enabling scripts and cookies in your
> browser.  Don't do it if you can get away with it, and only do it if you
> must.
>
> I think that opting-out is a false sense of security.  Do we even have
> any confidence that our 'Do Not Track' requests will be respected?
>
> As ever, it's down to being diligent and trying to minimise risk, not
> eliminate it.
>
> fraser

My personal opinion.
I want my GP to share my data throughout the UK, and it being used for
research of other purposes. My body when I die is already donated to
allow students to practice their cutting up skills.
(Surgery is a manual skill as well as a knowledge skill)

As a constant traveller, and having been admitted to hospital in London
after arrival from Iran unconscious from an air flight (I went
unconscious during flight Iran-UK due to injuries from a car crash in a
taxi on way to airport) I am well aware of how ability to access my
records by the receiving hospital was important, as well as them and the
airline contacting my wife.

So I will not try to opt out.

Currently I am in three long term medical studies, run by King's College
& NHS, so I know importance of data and analysis which may helps others.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald