Re: [LUG] Only two weeks to stop your medical records being available

On Wed, 9 Jun 2021 11:30:05 +0100
"maceion@xxxxxxxxx" <maceion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
so I know importance of data and analysis which may
> helps others.

Including the medical insurance industry.

Let us not lose sight of the fact that these data can be used (read
'are always used') to deny health insurance cover for specific
conditions to those whose data indicate that they may be at risk of
developing such conditions.  The insurance industry has been trying to
do this forever, but the nearest they've got is to deny it for
'existing conditions' which is not that far from 'underlying
conditions' which is not far from 'at risk of developing' and so on.

These arguments have been a hot topic since they learned how to
sequence the genome: now 'at risk of developing' can be interpreted
as 'carrying an allele for'; the determination of which would be
available for no more than a simple search of the central
patient records.

And slightly closer to being less off topic, it's also a question of
database security; and let's not forget yesterday's outage. I'm not
quite advocating paper records, but they do have advantages.  As do
books over kindles.  But then again, this old reactionary is
still reluctant to have anything to do with systemd....

fraser