Re: [LUG] Mesh Wifi

On 30/05/2021 10:24, Henry Bremridge wrote:
I was thinking of upgrading our SOHO wifi and I was thinking of Mesh. My reasons

-       I want a guest subnet so that visitors can use the wifi
-       I want to be able to answer telephone calls as I wander around the
        house (currently we have two access points and telephone calls
        drop as I go from one access point to the other)
-       The TV is wireless and our current Access Point is too slow.

Any recommendations.

How big is the property you need to cover and what is your existing and unsatisfactory current arrangement?

The short answer is buy a Unifi AP and see how you get on with that. Add another if necessary. Wired backhaul for the APs is far more desirable than meshed APs if you can manage it and two x Unifi APs is normally considerably more than enough unless you live in a mansion or something.

They provide all the basic features you want and a lot more besides if you want to optionally enable them. There are other options obviously but I've tried all of them over the years. I used to work at a professional WiFi installer and even back then all the engineers and technical staff all bought Unifi gear for their home networks. What I'm saying is basically if in doubt, buy Unifi.

Specifically I would recommend a Ubiquiti UniFi nanoHD model for the main AP and add a cheaper Pro or Long Range unit if/when needed or wanted.

Do your homework first so you know what you're getting into and feel free to ask if you want any pointers.