From: list <list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Gordon Henderson
Sent: 26 May 2021 20:22
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Freenode (and matrix bridge) murdered by bot

On Wed, 26 May 2021, Simon Avery wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2021 at 12:03, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> My view is that since Freenode is now unreliable and unstable that
>> people should move elsewhere anyway. The reasons and motives of the
>> current owners and admins are still unclear to me and probably will
remain so.

> I agree. Freenode today is not what it was a couple of weeks ago. Most
> of the projects I follow have moved off, either to Libera or Matrix or
> elsewhere.
>
> I hold a dim view of today's action where they arbitrarily decided
> that the word "libera" was banned in Freenode's topics. That shows
> poor management and, frankly, spiteful and unprofessional administration.
>
> Frankly, I don't trust Freenode any longer and will likely be removing
> it from my clients after at least 11 years.
>
> I think my preference is to move to the libera irc network, where the
> #dcglug channel already exists, and perhaps bridge that to Matrix to
> allow for slightly more modern clients. (Bridges are a mixed bag, but
> in a low traffic channel it might work)

Just to add to the confusion - earlier today the #dcglug channel was
reinstated - I think 'seabass' did some asking, so for now it appears to be
back to more or less what it was.

However... Having done something that caused a lot of unhappiness and
mis-trust once, I ask myself if I trust them to not do it again?

I'm not sure I do.

But - before any actions are taken by us - I really would like to ask the
members here for their feedback. I do not know how many people lurk here,
but if you have a view either way, please drop a line here, or to myself
personally if you don't want to post (if you trust me!) and I'll keep a
rough tally. I'm writing this on Wednesday evening, so lets see if we can
come to a concensus by Friday evening.

Gordon