Re: [LUG] Freenode (and matrix bridge) murdered by bot

On Wed, 26 May 2021 at 12:03, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My view is that since Freenode is now unreliable and unstable that people
should move elsewhere anyway. The reasons and motives of the current
owners and admins are still unclear to me and probably will remain so.

I agree. Freenode today is not what it was a couple of weeks ago. Most of the projects I follow have moved off, either to Libera or Matrix or elsewhere.

I hold a dim view of today's action where they arbitrarily decided that the word "libera" was banned in Freenode's topics. That shows poor management and, frankly, spiteful and unprofessional administration.

Frankly, I don't trust Freenode any longer and will likely be removing it from my clients after at least 11 years.

I think my preference is to move to the libera irc network, where the #dcglug channel already exists, and perhaps bridge that to Matrix to allow for slightly more modern clients. (Bridges are a mixed bag, but in a low traffic channel it might work)