Re: [LUG] Freenode (and matrix bridge) murdered by bot

On Wed, 26 May 2021, Joseph Walton-Rivers wrote:

Hi all,

The freenode IRC room has been closed by a freenode bot. Looks like it
thought that #dcglug wasn't a FOSS/Open source related channel and
booted us to ##dcglug. Because of the way the room was bridged on the
matrix side (the freenode room was owned and operated by the bridge),
it's effectively killed the freenode matrix room as well (it's now
read-only).

It was close/renamed because it violated their policy - which is unclear but it seems that just mentioning a move to libera in the channel topic is against their policy, so they basically shot themselves in the foot - by effectively forcing channels to move that they don't want to even try to keep anymore.

This has happened to many other channels in the past day too. I've seen reports of over 700 channels that this has happened to.

My view is that since Freenode is now unreliable and unstable that people should move elsewhere anyway. The reasons and motives of the current owners and admins are still unclear to me and probably will remain so.

The log of what happened is here:

https://unicorn.drogon.net/dcglug-end.txt

So make up your own minds...

Cheers,