Re: [LUG] Freenode

On 20/05/2021 16:10, Sebastian wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I don't think this situation is nearly as dire as one might imagine from
> all the articles being written about it! Freenode seems to be alive and
> well, and many of the volunteer staff members who left Freenode have set
> up a new network called libera.chat, which seems to be also running
> well.
>
> Does anyone here see any problem with the DCGLUG IRC channel staying on
> Freenode, and likewise does anyone on this list have opinions about
> libera.chat?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Sebastian

No opinion, as I have never used  IRC.
(I have vague memories of an IRC chat system in 1990s, but never
got used to it or saw it as  useful, so abandoned it.
For a small simple group it does seem a useful thing but needs all group
on the chat at same time I think (?). How do you chose what chat rooms?)

I have read much about this in many places, [ waste of hours over 2 days
understand ] but as a commercial person, see 'extreme slackness' in
probably articles of association of Freenode Ltd (used for commercial
legal entity bit) or share holdings or director or officer limitations.
But most voluntary organisations exist in same 'limbo' and can be 'taken
over'.

It needs strong clauses and 'a golden share' [ = 51% of all voting
capability] outside any officer's grasp to prevent take over.
Germany has slightly better systems for charities, but UK catching up
with "CIC" type companies as opposed to "Ltd" companies.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald