Re: [LUG] SSDs Was: Disk Wiping

On 07/03/2021 15:53, David Bell wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 17:40:11 +0000
comrade meowski <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

So ignoring the unexpected diversion into encryption etc, what
happened in the end then? Looking at what you've written above still
doesn't make sense - you've only bought two new drives and are
apparently keeping two of them as spares after wiping them. So what
are the "rest of the drives" you mention? So confusing...
I hope that you haven't been losing sleep over this Comrade :)

Each PC had 2 internal 1Tb HDDs  and an external 1Tb HDD backup caddy.
However, in the past few days things have changed.

Having built the Ryzen Box I ordered 2 more SSDs to upgrade my work
horse, thus releasing two more 1Tb HDDs

I then found that the performance difference between the Ryzen and the
AMD FX Black version in the main box was nothing to shout about,
especially as I'm not a gamer/multi tasker. So I removed the Linux
loaded SSD from the Ryzen box and have donated the latter to my son, who
has been struggling with a 10+ year old Athlon.

Now left with a single SSD, a quick search on Ebay found an
identical FX processor, m/b and RAM on offer for a decent price, so
another SSD was ordered so that my testing/sampling PC is now identical
to my main PC.

With a change of m/bs and disks I always do a clean install. In answer
to your question, yes most impressed with the SSDs performance. When
installing Debian from a DVD the transfer rate was so fast I couldn't
read the names of the packages.

So, after I have wiped the 4 1TB HDDs they will be up for grabs free
and gratis on this list.

David

What model/form-factor are these? I might throw forth 'first dibs' ... unless there's any other takers biting?! I could probably fling some £ for post/packing if not in Devon for collection!

I could be super-picky and ask for smartctl outputs, but .. maybe I'll hold off :D

Cheers,
veremitz/Michael.