Re: [LUG] Disk Wiping

On 04/03/2021 15:13, David Bell wrote:
I have a few HDDs to wipe prior to replacing them with SSDs. Can anyone
please recommend a good freebie wiping programme that they have used.

I'd keep them as backups for a while to be honest - I certainly wouldn't wipe them *before* replacing them and aren't you simply cloning the data from the old HDDs to their brand new SSD replacements anyway?

Are you not keeping the HDDs in use? Normally when doing disk upgrades the old spinners are demoted a 'tier' to bulk storage/backup devices but very much kept in use. Are you just putting yours on a shelf or something? Perhaps you're using laptops rather than a full sized machine and don't have room for multiple internal drives ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unless your data is super important or you want to give those disks away wiping them is a bit of a waste of time. Reformat them, stick them in USB caddies and keep them in use as encrypted backup devices. Any left over data will be scribbled over very thoroughly in due course.

Welcome to the 21st century by the way! These are your first SSDs aren't they?