Re: [LUG] Disk Wiping

On 04/03/2021 16:22, David Bell wrote:

I have two desktop machines each with an external backup HDD 1Tb disk
and only back-up /home and mail, so I shall keep a couple of removed 1TB
disks for spares and merely format them. The rest will be wiped and
given away.

So ignoring the unexpected diversion into encryption etc, what happened in the end then? Looking at what you've written above still doesn't make sense - you've only bought two new drives and are apparently keeping two of them as spares after wiping them. So what are the "rest of the drives" you mention? So confusing...

This is how the workflow normally would have looked like given your setup:

1: clone 1Tb sole (?) internal HDD to new SSD in each desktop

2: unplug 1Tb HDD - which is now a complete bootable backup of each system - but leave in system for a day or two while settling in the new SSDs

3: once SSD migration is tested and complete after a couple of days plug HDDs back in

4: wipe old HDDs and set them up as encrypted general purpose storage devices leaving each desktop with 1 x SSD boot drive, 1 x HDD general storage drive + 1 external backup drive.

I guess I'm just surprised that anyone would want to do it differently to be honest - although obviously people do things differently, no harm there of course ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Perhaps you just don't have much need for hard drive storage. Perhaps you don't want the extra noise/vibration/power draw in each of the two desktops. Who knows? It's just in all my experience I don't really remember anyone just voluntarily taking perfectly good 1Tb HDDs *out* of their desktop PCs and sticking them on a shelf to gather dust just because they've upgraded them to SSDs. In a laptop with only one internal drive bay? Obviously. But in a desktop chassis?

None of it matters of course - as long as you're happy with the results it's nobody's business but your own what you do with your hardware. I'm glad you'd give away old stuff rather than trash it too as there's always someone who'll be grateful for it.

More importantly how were the results? Amazed by the HDD to SSD swap or cursing my name for convincing you it would be the best IT purchase you made for years?

Cheers

PS: [OT] but when it comes to replacing your Win10 laptop's internal HDD use the excellent free-as-in-beer-not-freedom software Macrium Reflect to clone it