Re: [LUG] Air compressor

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 at 13:35, fraser kendall <lfs.mailing@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I always worry whether air-blowing a laptop fan might not spin it so
> fast that it generates enough voltage to damage the circuit board,

I'd never considered that before. I guess it's theoretically possible?

I usually open the case of my towers and hold the fan blades with a
finger, but I have used a vacuum cleaner (Henry) and hose for years
like this for fans, heat sinks, usb ports etc. (and anywhere else there
is a hole). I have also hoovered a Toshiba Satellite (since Vista!) from
both in and out grills and it's still going strong (like a tractor); I

I have met many people who would be shocked by this, but on the basis of static electricity causing damage. Again, it's theoretically possible, passing a stream of air quickly over anything.

But modern PCBs are far more robust than those of the 80s and 90s. I still touch the radiator before handling them directly to earth myself out of habit, but back then it was commonplace for engineers to wrap an earthing wire around their wedding ring, and still fry the odd board.

But me? I've never fried a board. And I have a commercial high pressure, high volume air line that I use to clean stuff when it needs it. (Another hobby is restoring old vehicles, so I have a fairly well equipped amateur garage). Next to pressure washing a patio, using an airline on a dusty computer is one of the most satisfying cleaning jobs you can do. Just not inside the house.