Re: [LUG] Air compressor

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 12:00:20 +0000
John PNZ <jh.pcgb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I always worry whether air-blowing a laptop fan might not spin it so
> fast that it generates enough voltage to damage the circuit board,
> even if it only spins for a couple of seconds. Would someone like to
> reassure me? I'm talking vacuum cleaner suction here.

I usually open the case of my towers and hold the fan blades with a
finger, but I have used a vacuum cleaner (Henry) and hose for years
like this for fans, heat sinks, usb ports etc. (and anywhere else there
is a hole). I have also hoovered a Toshiba Satellite (since Vista!) from
both in and out grills and it's still going strong (like a tractor); I
don't know how these modern pussies would cope, but I'm fairly
confident to do this on a couple of Dell (~2015) and an Acer
(~2012) laptops, although I'll sometimes use my drive-opening paper clip
to jam the fan if I can reach the fan through the grill.

But I'm always a bit nervous and I usually wait until cpu is running so
hot, I have little choice. YMMV.

fraser