[LUG] Xubuntu - clearing network configurations and starting again?

We had a power cut at the weekend and a machine that was running at the time has gone wonky. The network manager in the panel can no longer see the wifi. It shows up under ifconfig  but is invisible to  iplink set . I've got it working on 30m of cat5 at the moment but cant get the bloody wifi to show and cant find any documentation that can tell me which yaml or whatever file I need to fix so wondered if I could somehow purge the files or something. I've tried adding USB wifi and that appears in ifconfig but something in the goddamn systemd setup is preventing it actually working

Any clues anyone

Happy New Year and all that

Tom te tom te tom