Re: [LUG] A new printer

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 14:11:32 +0100
Giles Coochey <giles@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Brother works fine for me (HL-2250DN), I stay away from Inks as I
> found that if I don't use it for 6 months (not uncommon for me), that
> a Laser just works like from where it left off, whereas an Inkjet
> just has the ink coagulate inside and they invariably need replacing
> between each use.

And towards the other end of the spectrum...

We have run two Brother MFC-J6520DW A3 all-in-ones using CIS for the
last 3 or 4 years.  One machine uses archive quality ink for DTP,
producing a high-resolution double-sided A4 colour flyer, every 20
minutes (no blocked printheads) around the clock; that's 250 flyers a
week. The other machine prints black text and occasional graphics,
mostly academic papers and articles.  At peak times, we get through
approx 3 boxes (that's 7500 sheets) of A4 a month, consuming approx.
300ml of black ink and 100 ml of each of the (CMY) colours, costing us
about £30 per month.  As an experiment, I used a new set of large
Brother cartridges (£48) to print some flyers: I got 13 before the
print quality collapsed.  Don't even consider not going down the CIS
route for an inkjet.

The linux-brprinter-installer script works flawlessly every time, the
CIS cartridges were less than £60 per set, and the printers £150 each
and are still working after 4 years of constant use most of it at the
above peak levels.  They've proved to be a reliable machine for
business, and the chips in the CIS cartridges don't seem to be in an
arms race with Brother like Epson ones are.  Sound choice.

Best wishes

fraser