Re: [LUG] Chromebooks

On 30/09/2020 18:18, John PNZ wrote:
> 70 tabs open

I most definitely consider this as extreme use.

Albeit I learnt to "compute" (mainly maths problems and beam / aircraft
- ship stresses )in 1957 with even on a room or (rather big mansion )
sized machine
Old style
Sebastian Ziani de Ferranti
The Pegasus introduced in 1956 was their most popular valve (vacuum
tube) system, with 38 units sold. Circa 1956, Ivan Idelson, at Ferranti,
originated the Cluff–Foster–Idelson coding of characters on 7-track
paper tape for a BSI committee.This also inspired the development of ASCII.

7 holes to compute out of 8 holes on normal paper telex tape.

New style
I find on my 16 GB RAM Latitude E6530 using a !1B external Linux drive ,
I never have more than 4 tabs open at any one time.
I close all unused tab  and applications and use one at a time .
Long learned habit.
Even at paid work the most was  (with 2Gb RAM IBM -Lenovo) one document
and a Skype call (2  persons one to one) while we 'discussed'/ 'argued'
about  the problems between UK and our Japanese colleague.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald