Re: [LUG] Chromebooks

On 30/09/2020 18:32, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
But then I have 56GB of RAM in my main rig - only 4 in my laptop. I wouldn't dream of trying to put my laptop through the strain of 70+ tabs!

Exactly - this is case closed: "User has entirely unreasonable expectations of workload vs hardware - should have known better, especially at their skill level. Thrown out of office for wasting sysadmin time".

John I'm not having a go at you or anything but as you're clearly not just a basic user - to put it mildly - it's on you to manage your environment properly. If you're trying to run workloads that are unsuitable for a 4Gb RAM budget laptop that are clearly much better suited to 16Gb RAM+ workstations that's on you - computers aren't magic. You should know that, and tune either your work habits or your computer - or both.

We at least originally weren't talking about what we feel "less constrained by" - given the luxury of budget even a grandma who's only computer task is one tab open on facebook for three hours would be happier with a maxed out £5k Macbook! It would be a much, much nicer experience. But that's so obvious it's not worth even discussing.

Meanwhile in the boring mundane world literally millions if not billions of decidedly middling PCs with 4Gb RAM are being used just fine for everyday stuff including full working days. I know devs with Mac Minis that only have 4Gb RAM and run XCode.

"I can see Mint Ulyana, Brave and Firefox, 70 tabs open, calibre, an
assortment of libreoffice jobs, gftp, hexchat, a few terminals.
Nothing extreme. Firefox has several thousand bookmarks and the
history may go back a couple of months. The only extensions are the
standards: NoScript and UBlock."

Yeah, you've diagnosed your own problem right there. Managed better, a 4Gb budget laptop could do that no problem although cutting down on simultaneous apps, open browser tabs and actually tuning your machine a bit would help no end.

I make no comment on your other advice (which is why I omitted it from my reply) but will here just say it seems pretty solid to me. I'm nowhere near as sold on fanless laptops as you but both of the machines at the prices you mention would be very agreeable PCs to work on, and good value. No arguments there. I actually really like the look of that Dell 7370. I would also always try and coax a buyer into springing for 8-16Gb RAM in a machine for sure, it is 2020 after all.

My very well worn favourite screwdriver and can of compressed air strongly disagree with you about cleaning laptop fans though - barely a day goes by without me undoing a few screws, popping the back cover off and blasting out some filthy laptop. 5 minutes top, maybe 6 if I have to find my special Apple ones in the cupboard. What's difficult about that?

You see I don't know if you're aware of this but you've crossed into that difficult middle stage where you're a "Power User". Skilled and confident enough to easily get yourself into trouble but apparently not yet advanced enough to immediately understand or fix what you're doing 'wrong'.

Before I make another enemy for life I really want to reiterate I'm not having a go at you John - I just have a bad personality so blame any perceived slight or disdain fully on my terrible communication skills :]